Woman Honor Thyself

When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking. --Elaine Boosler

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

BrotherlY LovE eh?


Parents of son charged in beating may lose girl

This gives new meaning to the word "brother." An archived story:

"MADISON HEIGHTS -- The Oakland County Prosecutor's Office on Thursday will attempt to permanently end the parental rights of a Madison Heights couple who police say neglected to seek medical help for their daughter after her older brother allegedly beat her over her relationship with a non-Muzlim boy.
The 15-year-old girl, who is a Madison Heights Lamphere High junior, suffered a broken back in the beating, according to court documents.

She complained of the injury to her parents, but they didn't take her to a doctor because they condoned the punishment her brother gave her," said Robert Zivian, an assistant Oakland County prosecuting attorney assigned to the neglect case.

The following day, when the girl was still complaining of injuries, her parents called for an ambulance, according to Madison Heights Police Detective Sgt. Ron Hillman.

She was in a lot of pain, and when she eventually went back to school, it was in a wheelchair, Hillman said. It was too painful for her to stand for any period of time.

The girl initially told hospital workers she fell, Hillman said. After being questioned by police, she admitted that her brother had beaten her because he was upset over her relationship with a boy who was not of their religious faith, Hillman said.

She wrote me a two-page statement about how both her brother and her parents disapproved of the situation," he said. "She wrote that's what prompted the beating in the first place."

Now she is recanting the original story and also claiming she fell down some stairs," Zivian said."



Violence can shatter your life in many ways. In our culture most often the violent person who punches, kicks, rapes, and mutilates women is a husband, former husband, boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend.
One of the first pieces of advice offered to victims of violence is to seek help from other family members and friends or community organizations.
A brother perhaps?
Big brothers are the ones who protect their little sisters from the "bad boys" aren't they?

Perhaps Muzlims need to have some new words put into their vocabularies: Umm...this is called ABUSE:
physical abuse.
psychological or emotional abuse.
sexual assault.
(and ..it's a crime not to mention a violation of human rights.)

To say that this religion and culture don't legitimize and therefore perpetuate violence against women is a bold faced lie. This story is no isolated "incident".
The fact is- Muzlim women all over the globe live in an atmosphere of terror, which often permeates abusive relationships.

Contary to the mythical liberal notion, we cannot transform the cultural, social, and legal environment in the Muzlim community that gives rise to and condones widespread violence against women.
It would require long-term commitment and strategies involving all parts of their government and society.
Only when women are viewed as equal members of society will violence against them longer be an invisible norm but, instead, a shocking aberration.

And when praytell will that happen?





Open trackbacks over at Diane's Stuff

12 Comments:

  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger GM Roper said…

    Dropping by as ordered Ma'am and this is an excellent post. Are "honor killings" next? This kind of abuse must not be allowed to stand in Muslim countries, let alone in these United States.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Neurotic Mom said…

    Wow that isn't all that far from me, i rarely ever watch the news, guess i can just come here for local news huh?

    I have alot of Muslim neighbors and have called the cops when i hear them beating their wife/kids but they won't do anything other than knock on their door and ask if everything is ok. They don't go in and check if everyone is ok, which shocks me. I thought it was mandatory for them to go in and check.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Brooke said…

    Beating her wasn't abuse because women are nothing more than chattel. Who cares if you damage your own property?

    These folks make me sick to my stomach.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Lady Jane said…

    Brothers aren't supposed to beat up their sisters; they are supposed to protect them.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said…

    Amen to y'all...wish there werent stories like this to report eh?

     
  • At 3:34 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said…

    It is Islamic to beat women, who are not fully persons under shari'a law.

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Gayle said…

    Whenever we find stories like this we must publish them. There is a big percentage of Americans who don't realize what even so-called "American Muslims" do to their women. Thanks, Angel. Good work! :)

    I would like to teach that so-called brother a lesson.

    I had a step-brother when I was growing up (I say "had" because when I got married I purposefully lost touch with him. He was a bully.) He got out of school earlier than I did and kept taking off with my bike. I was nine, he was ten. One day they let me out early, and I reached home just as he was taking off with my bike. When I tried to stop him he tried to beat me up. "Tried" is the key word here. I drop-kicked him in his private parts. When my parents reached home an hour later he was still holding his crotch and groaning. I got in trouble. It was worth it. He never stole my bike again, and he never laid a finger on me after that.

    But if I had been a Muslim I would have been in deep doo-doo. My parents would have probably killed me. They need to be taught some manners.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Ogre said…

    But wait! Isn't Muslim a religion of peace?

    I think I finally get it. You see, when we use the word "peace," we're using it wrong. Our definition is not the same. When the Muslims use
    "peace," it means beating the crap out of or killing anyone who disagrees with them -- providing peace for them in the end.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said…

    Wow Gayle..atta girl!..heh
    Ogre...yea thanks for clarifying!

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger American Crusader said…

    Very well said by Lady Jane.

    Angel, haven't you heard? Spring has been canceled. I'm freezing up here dammit.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Lebatron said…

    If there's something I hate above all else. It's when a defenceless woman is abused in some way.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger kevin said…

    Brooke is right, better to be a goat that a woman in Islam.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home