Woman Honor Thyself

When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking. --Elaine Boosler

Monday, March 06, 2006

Can AnyonE write a BloG?


There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. -Walter Wellesley Red Smith-

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. -Anaïs Nin-

or for some of us: Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. -E.L. Doctorow- HeH.


BLOGS

Some you just gotta read daily...check for updates twice or mebbe even five times daily?
Some you just can't seem to get through no matter how hard ya try..
Some are too intellectual,
not intellectual enough...
too serious,
too mundane,
too distracting, too many ads, dizzying,
not enough stimulation...

But,no matter what 'style' you prefer ..the essence is written communication isn't it?

Hmmm..so...What does it take to communicate well?

-For starters I say: Critical Thinking..perhaps even a degree of problem solving.
-This seems to involve a bit of information gathering as well as organizing,comparing and evaluating ideas.
-There's always the added bonus of knowing how to adapt those ideas to a specific audience. (assuming you have one...grinz)
-Then there is the ability to inform or explain without puttin' the readers to sleep. the tricky part.. HeH.
-It seems important to me, as well as to those I read to somehow persuade and even influence the "captive audience" to a way of thinking or point of view.
-There is the gift of creativity and innovation, which perhaps explains how it is you can read a post about a certain theme by 11 different authors and thoroughly enjoy perhaps only one?...
-Add to that- Writing skills...and ultimately the talent or "gift" of self expression.



I find there is actually a relationship between the writer and his or her "audience". A writer who views his readership as nothing more than the passive receptacles of his insights will lose me and I daresay most of his readers.

If the writer doesn't seem to me to have a clear reason for writing,or if she seems particularly unenthusiastic I,for one am far less receptive.

But if the writer seeks to "engage" me..I can 'feel' it. (or at least I imagine I can..so don't burst me bubble eh?)
If the writer is able to "persuade" me.. or draw conclusions that resonate strongly with my understandings and sentiments... I "feel" the connection.
If the writer is able to to appeal to my passions, my convictions,to make me emote, make me think ...motivate me -
I see that as a brilliant testimony to his or her ability to communicate....
and Yes...I believe I actually "feel" a part of them...


What say you, dear readers...Still awake?..Heh.






Trackback URL for this entry:
http://haloscan.com/tb/smartyychick/114169896400064038

11 Comments:

  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    I like writing about things that mean something to me (which is why there are usually pro-military and anti-ACLU posts) and I like to ask my readers what they think and I enjoy their responses. I love that many times the post will continue with a "discussion" in comments...you know, you've been there!

    Thanks for all your comments, Angel!

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said…

    Awwwwwwwwwwww.TMH..urz is one I check at least 5 times a day ya goof!...ni ni TMH..dun let the bedbugs bite..heh.

    Anna, I know whatcha mean as well..stimulating thought! imagine that?..lolz

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    At first I started blogging as a way to vent my frustrations in a creative and more positive manner than what I used to do. Seems blasting away with a large caliber weapon on a gun range is becoming more socialy unacceptable these days. Maybe it's because I was using pictures of folks who irked me...... :)

    At any rate, after I started getting a few folks to comment, I sort of "got into" the whole blogging thing with enthusiasm. I have several blogs I enjoy reading daily. Some I even check multiple times (like yours).

    I mostly do it for myself but it's really uplifting when someone leaves a comment on things that are important to me. Somehow, it helps restore my sense of balance.

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Blogger Joe S. said…

    Somehow I feel more comfortable in the "acceptable form of schizophrenia" bracket.

    :)

    Joe

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger David said…

    I think your analysis/commentary is bang on for most of those who write insightful, must-read material that is of social, cultural and political significance.

    And then there are the topic -specific blogs (like Morning Coffee and Afternoon Tea) or personal blogs (like Keep the Coffee Coming or Anywere But Here or Boudicca's Voice) that remain favs because I have developed such an appreciation and respect for the person(s) who writes them, and because they are honest, open expressions of that person.

    I know a lot of bloggers, like yourself and the writers of TMH's Bacon Bits, Jerry Pournelle, Big Lizards, All Things Beautiful, et al, who are more consistently on top of the "principles" you outline than am I.

    That's OK. I relate more to the Doctorow line you quote than anything else:

    "Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia."

    OR

    "I blog to silence the voices in my head"—third world county

    I can live with that.

    :-)

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Brooke said…

    HAHA! I blog because its nice to think that I've got someone looking at something I think, and thinking about it themselves. I love comments; its almost like having an old-fashioned pen-pal without having to go to the post office!

    Oh, and Edgar dying? Sad. But bringing Kim back...a tragedy!

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger FrauBudgie said…

    I'd forgotten about the "writing" quote. Thanks -- and I swiped it.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger American Crusader said…

    It allows me to vent some anger from what I see happening in our world without tracking down organizations such as CAIR and committing acts of violence. Well...so far it has.

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger K T Cat said…

    I think the most important hting in a blog is to be short, concise and to the point so that readers don't get bored by your long-winded explantations of tedious, trivial details about subjects that have no impact on their lives because said subjects are of interest only to you and the few people in your immediate circle and those that are directly related to them either by blood or by marriage such as the ones that come over for tea before noon and expect lunch as well because they were busy that morning shopping at Best Buy and haven't had time to go through a drive through and get something to eat and anyway the drive through menus all have nothing but unhealthy things to eat and if you wanted to eat nothing but junk you could just stop at Costco and load up on box after box after box of CheeseCrunchies instead of fruits or vegetables like the AMA recommends in the new food pyramid, which doesn't seem to be much of an improvement on the old food pyramid which I liked a lot.

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger K T Cat said…

    It's also important to be able to spell the word "thing".

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger WomanHonorThyself said…

    Sheesh a collective thank y'all for the inputs..I loved the responses..so insightful!..Do I get to analyze y'all now?..grinz

     

Post a Comment

<< Home